Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Space Shuttle Discovery Launch

I got to see the launch which was pre dawn, making it almost like a night launch. 6:21 a.m. came early but it was well worth it. I go armed with my binoculars, camera and lawn chair.
It was awesome! No words can describe the wonder of this man-made event. It looked like all things were a go according to my neighbors who has the NASA channel on their TV. This was the first launch I have ever seen and will probably be my last because there are only 2 more launches. At about 6:04 the space station went over and you could see it clearly. It was moving very fast and looked like a star it was so small. As the sun was coming up the colors from the vapors made for beautiful colors in the sky. They began as white and then the colors exploded.




I stayed at Manatee Hammock Campground which is a Brevard County park. It is the absolute best place to see the launch. They close the gates around midnight and don't let anyone in unless their names have been given to the Park Manager. The park is nice and well maintained. I was on a corner lot and fairly close to the water. There were washer/dryers in the park and the bathhouse were clean and you had plenty of room to shower.

Later...

No comments: