Sunday, January 3, 2010

Burrrrr-Am I in Florida?

The night/morning temps are around 27-22 degrees for last night and the rest of the week. The day temps are not a whole lot better between 45-55. Yes, it's cold and yes, my heaters are running but I'm staying warm and I'm sure glad I'm not in Nashville.

Yesterday I went to the river boat ride furnished by the park on the Suwannee River. It was cold but the sun was beautiful which made it bareable. We saw a bald eagle, osprey, river otter, blue heron but no alligators and of course the buzzards but I'm not saying anything else about them. It was a fun trip.























One thing as I was walking the boardwalk to board the boat we (rangers and I) saw a manatee coming into the springs. They were talking about her white nose and flipper. Apparently the manatee had frost bite. In this picture, if you look closely, you can see the white on her flipper.







Today, I was getting a little cabin fever and decided to take a drive down to Cedar Key which is a absolutely quaint "old Florida" community along the Gulf of Mexico. Most everything was closed today so I'll go back sometime before I leave the area and visit longer. While there I kept seeing signs about Tony's "world's famous" clam chowder so I decided to give it a try. OMG the flavors and texture was outstanding and it was so good. Better than Neptunes in San Franscisco and that's saying a lot. I highly recommend getting off the beaten path and give the chowder a try. I saw some lobster & crab bisque in another resturant that I'll try next time. The weather is perfect for this kind of mean.
Later...

No comments: