Thursday, June 5, 2008

Deer Burgers???

This weekends post seems to be in three part harmony but I keep remembering things I want to remember later. I had called Cindy and said why don't we have a cookout. I have this new baked bean recipe that I want to try and it makes a lot so if you have the burgers, I'll bring the beans. So it was all set, the party was on.

The beans were from a recipe on the www.womensrvforum.com from Jenny and here it is:
This is a hit at all barbecues & Potlucks!!

1 lb Bacon-diced
3 med sweet onions or I use 1 large sweet onion diced
1 Lrg can B & M or Bush's Baked Beans ( I like Bush's)
1 sm can diced Tomatoes
1 sm can kidney or black beans drained
1 sm can pinto beans drained
3/4 cup drk brown sugar
1/2 cup Ketchup
1/4 cup Yellow Mustard

In a frying pan Saute bacon and onions together till the onions are translucent. Put the remaining ingredients in a large Crock pot and then add the onion & bacon to it. Simmer over very low heat for a couple hours to blend the flavors.

This tastes even better the 2nd day and makes enough for a large crowd. Half the recipe for a smaller pot. Everyone loves it!!

Jenny is right! A BIG hit.

So I went over to Cindy's with my crock pot and she was getting ready to pat out the "hamburgers." The meat looked so lean & rich, I asked where she got it. She looked at me and said "I didn't have any "beef" burgers so we are going to have these, and held them up." I said okay, and what are those??? She said "deer burgers," with a little gleam in her eye. I snarled my nose and said, well if you had told me you didn't have any hamburger, I would have brought some. Now, here is Savannah (10) looking up at me and I thought I have to set a good example for her since this is her dad's hunt. blah, blah.

I ate one and it was not bad at all. I probably won't add it to my shopping list but whatever she seasoned it with, I couldn't tell it was anything other than a burger. So, I have expanded my palate with ONE deer burger. Thanks, Cindy. Let's don't push it, I think they have elk too. ugh Knowing Cindy, she'll sneak it to me some way and I won't even know it. I understand it hard to mess with ground deer.

No comments: