Thursday, September 2, 2010

Reflection

Today marks the anniversary of my retirement. I thought I would take this time to reflect on what it's like to be retired. IT'S WONDERFUL!

I have not regretted leaving my state government job, ONCE!

I enjoy not having to get up early, unless I want to and not having the stress of the bureaucracy of state government.

I miss some of the people with whom I worked but have managed to keep in touch with those who matter.

I miss having the expendable income I once had while working full-time. I have done well and have learned that I can live on much less than I thought.

I haven't lost as much weight as I had planned for myself but now that I realize that I'm not on a perpetual vacation, I'll get serious on that health goal.

I have managed to read more since I have been retired. This is good.

With my nomadic lifestyle, I realize more than ever how important my friends and family are. I seem to touch base with them more than when I was busy working.

I haven't been a year full timing in my RV yet so won't get into my stats of traveling. But I will say that I have been in some beautiful places and experienced some wonderful things and I look forward to many more. Plus I have met some really great people along the way and I'm sure our paths will cross again.

Why is it when you leave a job, you always get blamed for all the bad things that went/are going wrong in the office? At one time that would have bothered me alot but now, it just doesn't mean anything. My, my how priorities change!

It's nice to be there for family & friends when I'm needed and not have to ask for annual leave. I can do what I want to do when I want to do it! I'm much less stressed.

I still plan on working some time but I'll do what I enjoy and what I can have fun doing!

For me, life is good!
Later...

5 comments:

Margie and Roger said...

Nice post on reflection on your year of retirement. Isn't it just wonderful? When I talk with past co-workers and they want to tell me things about work, I listen politely but really couldn't care less - that's my past, I've living in the present. Glad you are happy with your decision. Yep, life is good. Aren't we so thankful to get the opportunity to enjoy our retirement lifestyle!

Beckles said...

What a wonderful reflection....very well written. It's so obvious in your blog and in talking with you how happy you are. I'm so very happy for you and with you!! Can't wait to see you one of these days!! Safe travels to you.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your one year of enjoying life!!!

BarbZeee said...

Hey! Congrats on the "First" year and there's more to come...May you always have lots of "Sunshine" and I know lots of laughs to go along with it too !
God Bless
Zeee

Anonymous said...

Your journey so far sound good to me. Congratulations! Have fun discovering more adventures and choosing interesting roads to travel.

Tina