Thursday, July 30, 2009

"Gran, what's the big deal? It's just another day!"

Where did this little girl go?

Birthday's are always special. It's nice to get recognition for turning a year older (wonder who started that?) and then life goes on, thankfully.

My darling granddaughter, Taylor, turned 13 years old today. I was making a big deal about it last weekend when I was with her and she just looked at me and said, "Gran, what's the big deal? It's just another day!" So I thought, what is the big deal about turning 13? It's kind of the right of passage into womanhood, I suppose. It also says to me, she's not a little girl anymore. Life moves at such a fast pace these days. Selfishly I would have liked to have had more time with her as a child. Now I get to enjoy the deep conversations she likes to have. I get to enjoy the swim meets. I get to hear the excitement in her voice when she plans for her future. I also enjoy the pride she has in her grades and in school.

I'm excited that I have a teenager. Hope I can remember what it was like when Jonathan was that age. Oh, but what if I do? He was a boy. I'm sure their needs will be much different.

Love you Taylor and it is a big deal, you are officially not a tween today. You my dear are a full-fledged teenager!

Later...

1 comment:

Beckles said...

My goodnes, how these 13 years have flown by. I can still recall the morning that you told me the exciting news of expecting a grandchild. What a sweetie she is.