Sunday, September 4, 2011

Movies, Coons and Knees...

I'm back in Englewood TN awaiting my cruise next week.  What's been going on?

A group of about 9 women went to see The Help in Cleveland the other day.  I and some of the others had read the book so we decided to get together and go to see the movie.  There were tears and laughter.  The scriptwriter seemed to know when to lighten the mood from those tears to interjecting a laughter spot at just the right moment.  The movie was true to the book.  It was a fun day out with the girls.

And the coons invade...I was awaken early one Sunday morning to the sound of gun fire.  Yep, never know what's going to go on up in the holler, aka, hollow.  I went outside and Tina was standing under the awning and Roy, well, didn't know where he was but Sedona had run to her thunder/gunfire hiding spot in Somewhere.  Tina said there was a family of five coons that had gone up the steps into the attic of the garage.  So Roy gets his gun and marches up there and is trying to get rid of them.  Now there were five of them supposedly and two scamper down the steps and head out the side door as fast as their little legs could carry them.  One ran on the ledge and looked out the garage door at Tina and I and we head in Somewhere thinking he was coming after us.  Roy reloaded and began another round.  A little one falls out of the attic and tries to hide, down comes Roy and finished him off.  So we accounted for four coons living in the attic and apparently had been there for some time. 

The excitement was over and we began surveying the damage.  A shot came out of the front of the garage and if it had been a little lower it would have hit my car.  OMG, what were you thinking.  It was funny at the time and later.  Like I said, you never know what's going to happen up in the holler.

Oh I didn't tell you this revolver is a .22 and the barrell is about 9" long.  So just imagine a 6'2" guy coming down the attic steps carrying this "huge" gun trying to shoot a raccoon.  Can you say Clint Eastwood?

The pain in my knee is back and I went last week for another shot of cortisone to get me through the cruise.  When I return I'll start a series of shots, Supartz, for five weeks.  It's supposed to stimulate the synovial fluid to thicken so it will cushion the knee and hopefully suspend knee surgery for a few years, not a replacement, just surgery to clean it up/out.  So I'll be here for a few more weeks and I'll head to FL the middle of Oct.

Haven't heard from Disney yet so let's hope that I'll be working this winter.  I had way too much time on my hands last winter.

That's about all I've got to report, more will come...

...Later...

4 comments:

Tumbleweed Dee said...

We'll see you when we get to Fla and good luck working at Disney. We'll be in Avon Park, Adelaide park this year. We'll be there December 1 to April1.

squawmama said...

OMG ~ this was the best story ever... I could picture it all in my head. Sooooo funny!!! Good luck with your knee! I hope the series of shots work for you! I am having knee replacement in October...tired of the pain.
Have fun on the crusie!!!
Donna

Margie and Roger said...

"I had way too much time on my hands" - i.e. too many lemon drops in my hands, ha ha.

The coon story is so funny. As I read, I was wondering where the bullets might end up. It would be kind of neat to drive around with a bullet hole in your car though, right?

Hope you have a great cruise and that your knee survives all the dancing.

You might want to consider getting a job at a resort instead of a park - better parking, less people. Someone recommended that to Roger.

Liz said...

Love the coon story. Similar to my brother's war wth porcupines at his NH camp. Hope your knee holds up and you have a blast on your cruise.