Friday, May 6, 2011

Marathon Driving Day

Whew, what a day!  I started out at 9 a.m from Kingsland GA and arrived in Englewood TN at 6:15 p.m.  Against everything I have ever planned but by the time I got to Atlanta @ 2:30ish, I thought, at least get to the North side and get through the traffic.  I stopped once on I 16  exit 88 and then onward.  I had planned to stay at Walmart in Cartersville.

I've never stayed in a Walmart so a question for all you veterans.  When you stay in Walmart parking lot, do you change into your nightwear?  or do you stay in your street clothes?  That was just something I thought about as I had plenty of time to think while on the road.

When I got to Cartersville I decided I was only 89 miles from my destination so I might as well continue and I had plenty of day light left.  So I stopped and got gas, walked Sedona and myself, ate peanut butter & crackers (my staple for the day) and hit the road again.  I got 7.1 mpg which is the best I've gotten in a long time.  It was an absolutely beautiful driving day.  Window down, no a/c so no generator running and my topper window covers worked great to keep that sun out of my eyes and keep Somewhere cooler inside.  Even though it was a long day and this morning my body is sore, I'm glad to be here.

I got here and Jerry was here to help me get set up which was very nice because I was very tired and my knee was killing me.  I tried one approach of pulling up and backing in but the road is too narrow for me to do that and I was going to hit the front on the trees so I backed down the hill (mountain in my book) and turned into the driveway and the yard is big enough for me to turn around and get backed up.
A very nice park like setting

Did I mention he put in 30 amps for me?
I slept very well last night and so did Sedona. 



Jeff & Barbie said...

WOW, you deserve an award for driving that long in a day. When we've stayed at a Flying J or Walmart we've always kept clothes on-can't treat it like a regular bedtime. Enjoy yourself-take care. Kozmo says to say hello to Sedona.

squawmama said...

Glad you arrived safely but wow that was a long day for you. We boondock at Walmart all the time. Number 1 rule always ask the manager for permission. We always put on jammies and we always shop at the store as a sort of thank-you for letting us park.
Have fun in Sedona... we love it there!
Travel safe

Margie and Roger said...

That was a long day! Your poor knee! But, wow, what a nice "site" you have - might as well spend the summer there. Too bad you don't have an oak tree though. Glad you made it safe and sound, now take care of that knee.

I intentionally bought "jammies" that look like shorts and a top and another that looks like a capri and a top. They don't have the "jammie" look or material. I wanted something that I could step outside with the dogs in the middle of the night if necessary without having to change clothes. And, yes, I've been outside in those jammies at Walmart and in our yard at Citrus Ridge.

Donna aka Froggi said...

We wear sleep pants and tshirts, take the dogs out in those, too.

Glad you made it safely!

Beckles said...

What a long day, but sounds like it was worth it. Rest that knee up now!! Look forward to hearing about the wedding. Are you at Roy's or Jerry's house? Talk later.

Sharon said...

I always ask first, buy a little something, wear tank top and shorts and leave the slideouts in. I don't do it very often, prefer to try and find a PPA site near where I'm going, but that's not always possible. My preference is a casino lot or truck stop. Awesome spot you're in! Tricky to get in my spot at my son's, but totally worth it once I get in! Gotta love family!